Mahdi Ali Ali, Manager of the Gulf Film Development, said, "Hazawi Fund builds on the core commitment of DFI to promote the growth of the regional film industry. With a number of talented youngsters stepping into the film industry, Khaleeji cinema is fast gaining ground. They need tangible support - both in terms of financing and mentoring - to tell their stories. Hazawi Fund is dedicated to help identify emerging talent from the Gulf region and further support them to make compelling short films, under DFI's supervision. This will eventually help to present the region's cinematic ambitions to a global audience."
"Through Hazawi Fund, we are giving a robust platform for the region's filmmakers to further build their competencies, and eventually helm feature films that are being produced by DFI," added Mahdi Ali Ali.
Submissions to the Hazawi Fund will be open till 1st of March 2013 with the following requirements;
• Applicants must be either the director or producer of the film project, and a GCC national
• DFI will appoint a GCC national producer to a project that has been selected without a producer attached to it.
• The submissions must be original scripts and not longer than 10 pages.
• The duration of the films is up to 10 minutes. The selected project must be completed in 10 weeks, with three weeks for pre-production, one week for shooting and six weeks for post-production.
• All equipment needed including camera, standard lighting and sound packages will be provided by DFI, along with other technical and production support.
• DFI will provide mentorship for the key creative crew.
• The selected projects will be notified by March 15, 2013.
DFI is committed to nurturing and developing a strong film industry in the region through various initiatives including film appreciation, education, finance and outreach. The year-long calendar of activities of DFI culminates with Doha Tribeca Film Festival, a community event that showcases the best of world and regional cinema.