Egypt looks to revive its tourism sector
- Egypt: Monday, May 06 - 2013 at 13:22
Egypt is making a push to reassure travellers that it is a safe destination as part of an effort to return its tourism sector to pre-Arab Spring levels.
Speaking at the Arabian Hotel Investment Conference in Dubai, Egypt's tourism minister Hisham Zaazou said his biggest challenge is to try to combat what he believes has been an unfair campaign by the media to paint Egypt as an unsafe destination.
"It was not really fair of the media [to focus] on one square kilometre, Tarir Square, [because] it is not really a reflection of the one million kilometres of Egypt. While maybe it is reality that there were some demonstrations there and some violence, it is also reality that the rest of Egypt is safe, secure and open for business," he explained.
Zaazou said that despite some earlier news reports to the contrary, the Egyptian government is fully behind the tourism sector because it recognises its importance to the country's economy. He noted that tourism accounts for for 11.3% of the Egypt's GDP and provides job opportunities for 12.6% of the country's total workforce.
"At first I was a bit apprehensive that the new government would not back tourism enough, but every time the president of Egypt travels, he calls me to join him. In his latest speech, he mentioned that tourism is important to us, so if the political leader of the country is saying that, it means that investment [in tourism] should follow," he said.
So far this year Egypt's tourism sector is showing signs of a rebound, as about three million visitors travelled to the country in the first quarter of 2013, which is about 14.6% higher compared the same period last year. Egypt is aiming to increase visitor numbers by 20% this year, and has set ambitious long-term targets of reaching 30 million tourists and revenues of $25bn by 2022.
Along with offering deals to lure Arab families to Egypt, the ministry is launching a series of 'out-of-the-box' measures to attract tourists from all over the world, Zaazou said. These include placing cameras at key tourism sites across Egypt that will provide online video feeds showing the peaceful environment that exists in these areas.
Stating that 'a picture is worth a thousand words', Zaazou said the ministry will display the live feeds from these cameras in metro stations and other densely populated areas in cities in Europe and the US.
"Egypt will always be in the centre of focus for tourism in the world, whether me or you or anyone likes it or not. Egypt still has the Pyramids, it still has the Nile, it has fantastic beaches, and very welcoming people," he said.
Article Options
Disclaimer »
Articles in this section are primarily provided directly by the companies appearing or PR agencies which are solely responsible for the content. The companies concerned may use the above content on their respective web sites provided they link back to http://www.ameinfo.com
Any opinions, advice, statements, offers or other information expressed in this section of the AMEinfo.com Web site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of AME Info FZ LLC / 4C. AME Info FZ LLC / 4C is not responsible or liable for the content, accuracy or reliability of any material, advice, opinion or statement in this section of the AMEinfo.com Web site.
For details about submitting your stories, please read the guide - all content published is subject to our terms and conditions



Jeff Florian, Senior Reporter



