"The global strength and importance of the World Future Energy Summit as a platform for discussion, investment and innovation in the renewable energy sector is demonstrated by the high-level participation of leaders from the public and private sector," said Dr Al Jaber.
The conference program includes four high-level Ministerial Panels. The first, 'Sustainable Energy For All,' continues the United Nation's theme for 2012 which was launched by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon at last year's WFES and will be moderated by Kandeh Yumkella, Director-General of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization.
Other Ministerial Panels will discuss 'Sustainable Development,' 'Renewable Energy Policy Revolution in Economically Challenging Times' and the 'Water-Energy Nexus'.
Participants of these Ministerial Panels will include, among others:
• Dr. Farooq Abdullah, Minister of New and Renewable Energy, India
• Mr. Liu Qi, Vice Minister and Deputy Administrator of the National Energy Administration, China
• Mr. Fouad Douiri, Minister for Energy, Mines, Water and Environment, the Kingdom of Morocco
• Mr. Richard Marles MP, Parliamentary Secretary for Foreign Affairs, Australia
• Mr. Manuel Gerardo Pedro Pulgar-Vidal Otárola, Minister of Environment, Peru
• HE Dr. Mohammed Bin Saleh Al Sada, Minister of Energy and Industry, Qatar
• HE Dr. Khaled Al Sulaiman, Vice-President for Renewable Energy at the King Abdullah City of Atomic and Renewable Energy, Saudi Arabia
• Mr. Suleiman Jasir Al-Herbish, Director-General and Chief Executive Officer of the Vienna-based OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID)
• Ms. Irina Bokova, Director-General of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
• Dr. Naoko Ishii, CEO and Chairperson, Global Environment Facility (GEF)
• Mr. Michel Jarraud, Chair, UN Water.
Keynote speeches of the Ministerial Panels include H.E. Sheikha Lubna Al Qasimi, UAE Minister of Foreign Trade; Wu Hongbo, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations; Todd Stern, USA's Special Envoy for Climate Change; Connie Hedegaard, EU Commissioner Climate Action in the European Commission; and Jeffrey Sachs, Director of The Earth Institute at Columbia University and Special Advisor to the United Nations Secretary‐General on the Millennium Development Goals.
The sixth World Future Energy Summit, from 15 - 17 January 2013, hosted by Masdar, Abu Dhabi's renewable energy company, is the centerpiece of Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week and will be co-located with the inaugural International Water Summit, also hosted by Masdar.
The World Future Energy Summit 2013 will also be the host venue for the prestigious biennial International Renewable Energy Conference. The Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week will open with the third session of the Assembly of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).