His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, officially completes ten years of ruling today (December 4, 2016).
Marking the ten-year accession day anniversary, according to state news agency WAM, President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan says: “My brother His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum has completed ten years of ruling and leading a rational and sophisticated government, one of the most advanced and efficient governments in managing its services, with the testimony of prestigious international organisations.”
To learn more about HH Sheikh Mohammed’s life story and the history of Dubai, take a look at the video below:
“In ten years of governance, my brother Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid managed to raise the standard of the government’s competitiveness internationally by establishing institutions and work teams that focus on satisfying citizens and making them happy,” Sheikh Khalifa continues. “We watched with appreciation over the ten years, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid’s government, which is characterised its ability to establish coordination between federal and local governments, form national teams and formulate strategic plans to achieve the vision of the leadership and continue developing the construction laid down by the founders alongside his fellow members of the Supreme Council and Rulers of the Emirates.”
To celebrate this day, here are just a few of the achievements that have been attained during His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum’s time as Dubai’s ruler:
- 2006: Publishing of My Vision, a book authored by him, which describes his philosophy and his political and economic vision. Through the book, he offers a detailed account of how Dubai and the UAE have been guided to their present-day status as international centres.
- 2007: Announcement of Dubai Strategic Plan 2015, which aims to retain Dubai’s leading position in the region and boost its role as an international economic financial hub.
- 2007: Announcement of UAE Government Strategy Plan, to achieve sustainable development throughout the country, investing federal resources more efficiently and ensuring due diligence, accountability and transparency across federal bodies.
- 2007: Launch of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Foundation at the World Economic Forum in Jordan, on May 19, with an endowment of $10 billion, according to HH Sheikh Mohammed’s website. The foundation’s aim is to promote human development by investing in education and the development of knowledge in the region.
- 2007: Launch of Dubai Cares. The campaign, launched on September 20, raised an extraordinary $1bn in its first two months, according to HH Sheikh Mohammed’s website. The campaign has become one of the biggest international humanitarian movements focusing on fighting poverty, spreading knowledge and providing education for children in the world’s poorest countries.
- 2008: The opening of The Palm Jumeirah. Developed by Nakheel Properties, Palm Jumeirah – the world’s largest man-made island – was completed and developed. The island comprises of a two-kilometre-long trunk, a crown made up of 17 fronds and a surrounding crescent.
- 2008: Launch of the Noor Dubai initiative, which aims to deliver preventative eye care to more than one million people in developing countries, aiming to create a world free from curable forms of blindness.
- 2009: Inauguration of Dubai Metro, the emirate’s driverless, fully automated metro rail network. Dubai Metro now boasts 47 stations, 87 trains and 75 kilometres of track.
- 2010: Inauguration of Burj Khalifa: On 4 January 2010, Sheikh Mohammed launched Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building. The edifice forms the centre of the $20bn Downtown Dubai development of mixed-use towers, buildings and retail outlets. According to the Sheikh Mohammed website, he said that the tower is “a national accomplishment, a historic milestone and a key economic turning point. It is a symbol of pride, not only to the Emirati people but to all Arabs.”
- 2011/12: Spirit of the Union The book documents an important era in the history of the UAE as narrated by HH Sheikh Mohammed in a unique lecture he delivered in December 2011 on the occasion of UAE’s 40th National Day.
- 2012: Planting of the Union Tree. HH Sheikh Mohammed launched the “Union Tree initiative”, aimed at consolidating the spirit of unionism and love for the country. According to WAM, during a visit to Dar Al Ittihad, where HH Sheikh Mohammed planted the Union Tree along with a group of UAE National children, he said: “God Almighty has blessed us with plenty of gifts thanks to the ‘Union Tree’, which has united all parts of the homeland under its umbrella and which became a vivid witness for all generations of all of the achievements in the country in every field. I hope that this event of planting a tree with the name ‘The Union Tree’ will prompt you to take care of and preserve it and will also educate our generation to keep our union intact.”
- 2013: Launch of Dubai Smart Government Department. Dubai Smart Government Establishment (DSGE) was an initiative to provide innovative Smart government services to all sections of society. DSGC had many purposes, such as overseeing the strategy of the Smart government; Smart transformation processes; reviewing government entities’ plans and budgets related to Smart transformation, IT, Smart services and infrastructure; and proposing the legislation necessary for easing the Smart transformation process. His Highness Sheikh Mohammed changed the DGSE’s name to Dubai Smart Government Department in June 2013 in line with his initiative to transform to an era of Smart government, according to the Government of Dubai website.
- 2013: UAE wins Expo 2020. In November 2013, the United Arab Emirates won the right to host the World Expo in Dubai in 2020. This will be the first time that the World Expo will be staged in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia. Dubai’s World Expo will be held under the theme of “Connecting Minds, Creating the Future”, echoing the powerful spirit of partnership and co-operation that has driven the UAE’s success in pioneering new paths of development and innovation.
- 2014: Launch of the “Happiness Meter”. In October, the Happiness Meter was launched, making Dubai the first city in the world to measure its visitors and residents’ happiness interactively. According to a post by HH Sheikh Mohammed on his official Facebook page, “The Happiness Meter delivers an instant measure of people’s satisfaction with Dubai’s services and facilities through S smart network and system. Our target is to get people’s opinion on services on a daily basis, which will have a real impact on people’s happiness and comfort levels.”
- 2015: Announcement of the Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre. HH Sheikh Mohammed issued a law establishing the Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre, which will work to support the UAE’s efforts in the space field and the launch of Al Amal (or ‘Hope’), the Arab world’s first Mars probe, to establish an integrated infrastructure to manufacture the satellite in the UAE as well as take advantage of its applications in all areas of development.
To show appreciation for all of his successes during his rule, there is currently a #ThankUShkMohd hashtag trending on social media in the UAE.
Feature image source: Dubai Media Office Twitter account