Complex Made Simple

Sheikh Khalifa General Hospital launches ‘Men’s Health – Myths and Facts’

Raising Awareness of Erectile Dysfunction, Hypogonadism and Prostate Cancer

Under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Rashid Bin Saud Al Mualla, Crown Prince of Umm Al Quwain, Sheikh Khalifa General Hospital Umm Al Quwain (SKGH UAQ) launched ‘Men’s Health – Myths and Facts’, a men’s health awareness campaign in cooperation with Bayer HealthCare, from 6 – 10 September.

SKGH is part of His Highness the President’s initiatives under the patronage of the UAE Ministry of Presidential Affairs.

‘Men’s Health – Myths and Facts’ kicked off on 6 September in SKGH UAQ with awareness lectures for healthcare practitioners. Site visits to government authorities across the UAE took place from 7 – 10 September, including on-site patient awareness in Umm Al Quwain Police GHQ, Ajman Police GHQ, Umm Al Quwain Civil Defense Center, Ras Al Khaimah Police GHQ, and Al Qassimi Hospital. The closing ceremony took place in Dubai on 10 September with the participation of over 80 Urologists, Endocrinolists and Internal Medicine experts.

“We’re delighted to have launched this campaign shedding light on vital health issues affecting men,” said Dr Abdelqadir Alzarooni, Consultant Urology and Head of the Surgery department at SKGK UAQ. “The campaign brought three medical issues into focus; erectile dysfunction (ED), hypogonadism and prostate cancer, emphasized early detection and prevention, and provided screening for high-risk populations.”

Speaking of each of these conditions, Dr Yasser Farahat, Consultant Urology SKGH-UAQ explained that erectile dysfunction (ED), the inability to attain and maintain an erection sufficient for satisfactory sexual performance, is the most prevalent of male sexual dysfunctions.

“Nearly one man in every five between the ages of 30 – 80 suffers from ED, yet only 15%-20% of ED cases are treated. While the incidence is higher among older men, ED can affect men of any age particularly younger men who have diabetes, high blood pressure, or cardiovascular problems,” Dr Farahat said.

“As Urologists the main difficulty we face treating ED or identifying its potential underlying causes is that patients avoid discussing the condition. ED is estimated to have a physical cause in 70% of cases, with the remaining 30% due to psychological factors. It is already recognized as a warning sign for men; 64% of sufferers report at least one or more of these conditions: cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, dyslipidemia, hypertension and abdominal obesity.”

Dr Farahat moved on to hypogonadism explaining that, “Also known as testosterone deficiency, hypogonadism is the most common cause of ED and cannot – in general – be considered a disease; it is a physiological symptom bound to occur after a certain age, similar to menopause in women.” He said that natural ageing is a main cause; testosterone levels drop at a rate of 1% annually after the age of 30, with an ongoing decrease that can reach up to 30% or 40% by the age 60. Loss of libido and erectile dysfunction are among the most important symptoms.

Regarding prostate cancer Dr Farahat said, “The prostate is a gland that plays an important role in male fertility. Different benign diseases could affect the prostate; however the most serious is prostate cancer, the second most common cancer in men worldwide. Known as the silent killer it can progress with no clinical symptoms and is often discovered at late stages, when it is no longer curable. Discovered early, prostate cancer is highly treatable, which is why early detection is life-saving and is one of the campaign’s main objectives.”

SKGH provides premium healthcare services across all medical fields encompassing diagnosis, treatment and public awareness of serious, often silent, medical conditions.