By: Malcom Ridgers – Tech Marketing Specialist – BairesDev, a leading Nearshore Outsourcing Software Development and IT company
It’s not easy to start and grow a successful business. Even with exciting and innovative ideas, there’s no guarantee of success. You work hard to develop the core of your new company but, at the same time, you can’t ignore the other essential business functions that are also critically important. The difficulty is, you’re likely not yet in a position to hire enough employees to take care of all those functions in-house.
Outsourcing has become a common strategy to meet this challenge (with the global outsourcing market estimated to be worth $90 billion), typically for tasks like bookkeeping, marketing, data processing, and human resources. Another vital area for your company may be software development. If so, offshore outsourcing services may just be the secret weapon you need to help your startup achieve long-term growth and success.
Startups Face an Uphill Battle
Startups frequently begin with very limited staff and financial resources, while at the same time facing enormous challenges. To keep costs down, you and a small staff may try to do almost everything, juggling numerous nonessential tasks in addition to your primary ones. Unfortunately, many of those tasks may be outside your areas of expertise and distract from what you should be focusing on — business development and growth.
Taking on too many different responsibilities can lead to delays in getting products to market, problems with customer service, reduced product quality, lost clients, and negative impacts on a developing brand reputation. No wonder as many as 90% of companies go out of business after less than one year of operation!
You Need Strategies to Beat the Competition
Not only do startups face numerous internal challenges, they also face intense competition from other companies. If you want your startup to be one of the 10% that make it, you should pursue strategies that will set your company apart.
One strategy is to seek out whole new markets, rather than joining the crowd, by developing products or services that don’t yet exist. Apple did just this with its groundbreaking product innovations that shook up the mobile phone industry. Uber did it too when they created a brand-new means of transportation centered around smartphones.
Another strategy is to connect your company to a charitable venture which, in addition to having a positive impact on the world, can draw attention and promote long-term customer and employee loyalty. IKEA did this, by partnering with UNICEF to combat child labor around the world and then with the World Health Organization to establish a vaccination program that helped almost 300,000 women and children.
How Outsourced Software Development Can Help
Offering well-designed software products that make it convenient and easy for customers to work with you can also set you apart and lead to long-term success. Many startups don’t have skilled developers on staff, yet still need custom software to run the business well.
Rather than stretching budgets to hire more full-time people or stretching the workloads and abilities of existing employees, consider outsourcing. Outsourcing to offshore software developers can benefit your new company in a variety of ways, ranging from lower costs to improved product quality to the ability to easily ramp up or down as software needs change.
Because many companies don’t pursue this strategy, it can be your secret weapon to beat your competition and enjoy long-term success. Here are some of the many benefits of this approach.
Cost and time
- Reduction in software development costs
- Lower overhead, including utility expenses, office space, and technology hardware
- Fewer staff-related costs for employee benefits, recruiting expenses, and new employee training
- Ability to hire software development experts for only as long as you need them, without having to pay salaries during downtime between projects
- In-house employees can focus on their primary responsibilities and core competencies, keeping workloads manageable
- Company leaders can spend their time on core business growth and development, including finding new customers
Specialized expertise and technology
- Access to the latest specialized software development skills, tools, and resources
- Get the latest hardware technology without the need for substantial capital investment
- Selection of talented developers around the world to achieve the best software development fit based on your skillset and budget requirements
- High level of software quality thanks to experience level and specialized knowledge of the outsourcing team
Enhanced speed and flexibility
- Ongoing help with creating new software features, fixing problems, and responding quickly to customer feedback once the software is in use
- Ability to respond to changing needs by easily scaling software projects up or down as your company grows
- Streamlined completion of software projects thanks to the outsourcing team’s established history of working and communicating together
When you’re working hard to establish a new company, you need to use every advantage available to ensure you make it for the long haul. By lowering your costs, providing access to the latest in knowledge and technology, and allowing you to respond quickly to changing demands, offshore software developers can become valuable partners on your road to startup success.