With so many U.A.E. residents watching the price of petrol and their monthly budgets, Ford offers some easy tips to help drivers get the most out of every tank of petrol.
“Driving behaviours don’t need to drastically change in order to maximise your fuel efficiency,” said Trevor Hale, director of communications for Ford Middle East & Africa. “There are many simple things you can do – and you should do – that will help you go further with every fill-up and reduce the number of trips you make to the petrol station.”
• Use your air conditioning while driving. There’s a common perception that driving with your windows open uses less fuel than driving while using your air conditioning. This is not true. Driving with windows open at freeway speeds creates drag and uses more fuel than driving with windows closed and the air con running.
• Inflate your tyres to recommended levels. These figures can be found in your vehicle handbook or on a label inside the driver’s door. Properly inflated tyres give optimum road ‘footprint’ reducing the demand put on the engine and therefore the need for fuel.
• Don’t speed. The faster you drive the higher the demand for fuel – you may arrive quicker but your fuel bill will be higher. When freeway driving, employ cruise control. It will rule out the need for unnecessary braking or accelerating, and by finding the vehicle’s sweet speed you can set your cruise control accordingly to save money on long drives.
• Don’t carry unnecessary items with you. Be sure to remove unneeded items from your vehicle (such as golf clubs, baby strollers, work equipment) if you’re not going to use them. The lighter your vehicle, the better the fuel efficiency.
• Consider trading in your gas guzzler. Today’s hi-tech engine’s, like Ford’s EcoBoost with turbo direct injection technology offer considerably better performance and power than many larger engines while also delivering better fuel efficiency and lower emissions.