* More than 1bn iPhones sold since its launch
* It inspired new products such as iPan and Apple Watch
* “It is redefining the way we communicate, entertain, work and live” – Tim Cook
“A widescreen iPod with touch controls, a revolutionary mobile phone and a breakthrough internet communications device.” This is how the late Steve Jobs introduced the first iPhone to the world on January 9, 2007.
Today, ten years after the launch of the first iPhone, the revolutionary smartphone has evolved in many ways and more than one billion units have been sold around the world, so far. Every new model gets millions of eager consumers, around the world, to line up before stores open to be among the first to get their hands on the new gadget.
Best is yet to come
The iPhone also inspired new products, such as the iPad and the Apple Watch, all of which house millions of apps that have changed the way we live.
“The iPhone is an essential part of our customers’ lives and, today more than ever, it is redefining the way we communicate, entertain, work and live,” Tim Cook, Apple’s current CEO, said in a statement.
“The iPhone set the standard for mobile computing in its first decade and we are just getting started. The best is yet to come,” he added.
The latest iPhone: How far it has gone
The most recent model of this device is the iPhone 7 Plus. Some of its unique features and specifications include:
– A 12-megapixel lens camera, optical image stabilisation, a f/1.8 aperture that captures 50 per cent more light and wide color capture, allowing more colour and detail even in low light. This is in addition to a dual-lens camera with Portrait mode and up to 2x optical zoom.
– The A10 Fusion chip, which Apple claims is the most powerful chip ever placed in a smartphone, capable of processing 120 times faster and with graphics 240 times faster than the original iPhone.
– Immersive stereo speakers with sound that is two times louder than iPhone 6s, an increased dynamic range of sound and a higher quality speakerphone.
– A reengineered enclosure which results in the first water-resistant iPhone, offering protection against spills, splashes and dust.
– The brightest and most colorful Retina HD display ever created for an iPhone, a wide colour gamut for cinema-standard colours, greater colour saturation and one of the best colour managements in the smartphone industry.