Complex Made Simple

Qatar Shell participates at the 31stGCC Traffic Week

The initiative showcases Shell’s firm commitment to work with the Ministry of Interior to raise awareness on road safety.

Qatar Shell sponsored the 31st GCC Traffic Week, organised by the Ministry of Interior, in an effort to reach out to the Qatari community to reduce road accidents.

The initiative is part of Qatar Shell’s social investment strategy and showcases Shell’s firm commitment to work with the Ministry of Interior to raise awareness on road safety.

Sheikh Thani Al-Thani, Deputy Managing Director of Qatar Shell joined Major General Saad bin Jassim Al-Khulaifi, Director General of Public Security, and Brigadier Mohammed Saad Al-Kharji, Director General of Traffic Department, in the official inauguration of the 31st GCC Traffic Week. During his visit to Qatar Shell’s stand, Major General Saad Al Khulaifi praised Qatar Shell for its contribution to road safety and continuous support to Qatar’s Traffic Department.

Commenting on Qatar Shell’s commitment to road safety, Sheikh Thani Al-Thani said:“Road Safety is an integral part of Qatar Shell’s social investment programme globally. In Qatar, our road safety programmes are designed to support the Qatar National Vision 2030, which was launched by His Highness The Emir SheikhTamim Bin Hamad Al Thani in 2008, to help protect the nation’s most valuable resource – its people.”

He added, “We are proud to have participated in the GCC Traffic Week for five consecutive years, and to work closely with the Ministry of Interior and Traffic Department to help reduce the number of road accidents in Qatar.”

The 31st GCC Traffic Week took place in Darb Al Saai, where Qatar Shell showcased a specially-designed interactive exhibition stand,and presented the ‘Rakkiz Tislam’ programme, in cooperation with the RasLaffan Industrial City Community Outreach Program (COP).

‘RakkizTislam’ (meaning ‘Focus and be Safe’), which has been brought to the Middle East for the first time, is a realistic driver learning software module based on a highly successful young driver scheme in the UK. The programme, designed to help young drivers identify and respond to potentially unsafe traffic situations, was designed and tailored to Qatar’s roads and driving environment, and includes real traffic scenes filmed on Qatar’s roads.

The stand has been visited by thousands of visitors, especially young people,who learned about road safety and participated in ‘Rakkiz Tislam’ challenge.

The initiative was targeted at young drivers (aged 14-21), who pose the greatest risk of being involved in road accidents, as their brain is still developing, and therefore they take more risks while driving, plus lack of experience and training.

In an effort to tackle these issues, the stand included various training sessions (which are part of the ‘Rakkiz Tislam’ programme) for the young drivers.

During the exhibition, Qatar Shell also presented its ‘Hizamak Amanak’ programme, which emphasises the importance of wearing a seatbelt to avoid serious injuries. Statistics of the road safety attitudes survey conducted by Ipsos Mori for Qatar Shell in 2012, show that only 64% of Qataris aged 16 to 21 wear a seatbelt, compared to 75% among the age category 22 to 49. Statistics also highlight that the percentage of expatriates who buckle up is almost 90%. Safety regulations were found to be the major factor in forcing drivers to adopt road safety measures. On average, 81% of drivers buckled up, compared to 71% of front-seat passengers and only 8% of back-seat passengers. Concerning children, statistics have indicated that only 31%of the children aged under12 use a child’s car seat, posing a great risk to the safety of the remaining 69% of children who don’t use a car seat.

Qatar Petroleum and Qatar Shell share strict road safety standards, which have produced outstanding results. In their flagship operation, Pearl Gas to Liquids (GTL), over 600 million kilometres have been driven without a significant incident.